Angus> On Monday 04 December 2000 17:52, Dekel Tsur wrote:
>> On Mon, Dec 04, 2000 at 11:23:31AM +0000, Angus Leeming wrote: >
>> Why not? They appear in my lyx.pot file. I guess you mean that they
>> > aren't in yours? > > Admittedly, "GUI background" etc don't
>> appear. Will investigate.
>>
>> You should use 'xcol.name = _("GUI background")' instead of using
>> N_(). There are several places in your code that need to fixed.
>> Note that in some places you need to keep the N_() but put a _()
>> when the string is used. For example, keep the N_() in
>> LyXRC::getDescription but in FormPreferences::feedback you need to
>> put str = formatted(_(str), ...)

Angus> This shouldn't be that hard, but I'm completely confused here.

Angus> Why should I keep N_() for one (and then put a _() when the
Angus> string is used), but remove it for xcol.name?

_() is the normal gettext macro. N_() is just a dummy macro which
force the string to be in the lyx.pot file (to use in string arrays,
for example). It is because you cannot call gettext() in a static
initialization.

Angus> Yes, I have read src/gettext.h. I guess I could rephrase the
Angus> question as what makes the strings in LyXRC::getDescription
Angus> "static"; what does "static" mean here?

That the variable is local to the function, I guess.