2011/11/27 Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net>

> **
> On 11/27/2011 11:32 AM, Nicu Tofan wrote:
>
> Hello.
>
> This message is related to this inquiry on Sage Ask
> forum<http://ask.sagemath.org/question/935/mathcad-like-front-end-for-sage>
> and, later, on Sage developers mailing
> list<https://groups.google.com/forum/#%21topic/sage-devel/fqaMLOP0Y6w>.
> This is how I found
> LyX.
>
> What I'm after is the ability to integrate the Sage computational engine
> into LyX, creating a MathCad like environment. On top of that, allowing
> to create and integrate code using a dual approach (both visual and
> textual, like in Bouml <http://bouml.free.fr/>) would further enhance the
> editor.
>
> My intention is to either contribute to LyX, if the ideas that I've
> presented
> here fit in current vision, or to make a fork. I would like to ask if
> there is
> previous work in this regard and any other thoughts that you may have
> about what I said here.
>
>  I don't know anything about Sage, but LyX already has some ability to use
> mathematica, maxima, and similar engines, as well as packages like Sweave
> and R. So there's infrastructure within LyX that you may be able to use. I
> know a lot of us would like to see the existing stuff improved, and getting
> it to work with something FOSS would be great. There's actually a lot of
> activity these days around R; a lot of people seem to be using LyX with it.
> But not much special support. It's most a matter of making it easier to
> enter R code verbatim.
>
> So I think I speak for everyone in saying that the general idea certainly
> fits into what we think LyX is. Of course, the details are everything here,
> so no promises at this point. But if you want to start a git branch (we're
> moving toward git), and start work there, then we can all keep up with what
> you are doing. You can fork later if you think you need to do so.
>
> Richard

Thank you for your reply, Richard.

*Sage* is a free open-source <http://hg.sagemath.org/> mathematics software
> system licensed under the GPL. It combines the
> power<http://www.sagemath.org/tour.html>of many existing open-source
> packages <http://www.sagemath.org/links-components.html> into a common
> Python-based interface.

One of the packages it includes is Maxima.

Having an infrastructure in place is a big plus. I would like to hear from
the R users about how they would like to see LyX enhanced. Maybe there is a
convergence somewhere.

Glad to hear that the general idea fits with your views. I will examine the
code and will came back with specific ideas. Meanwhile, if anyone feels
like dropping a thought about this, I would be happy to read it.

Nick