You are right (ideally), but this is a long-lasting annoying problem
with R's default graphical device which is pdf() in the
non-interactive session. Unfortunately it has to create a file under
the current working directory (usually named Rplots.pdf). I requested
a true null device which does not write files, and it was implemented
in R 2.14.1, but again, unfortunately it has a bug which makes this
null device still write a file named NA. I have not got any response
from R core yet about this bug.

I can submit a simple patch to lyxsweave.R to avoid this problem by
redirecting the default file to a temp dir, but I'm not sure if it is
still in time. It should not break string freeze, though.

Regards,
Yihui
--
Yihui Xie <xieyi...@gmail.com>