On Mon, Mar 5, 2012 at 7:34 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 06:50 PM, stefano franchi wrote:
>>
>> Speaking of endnotes, what I haven't been able to find out, instead,
>> is how to have two have features often found in Humanities books:
>>
>> 1. Running headers for the endnotes that says (automatically, of
>> course) "Notes for pages nnn-mmm" where nnn and mmm are the page
>> numbers of the page of text in which the first (respectively, last)
>> endnote of the current spread appears.
>>
> This kind of thing is going to be tricky. Have you asked on comp.text.tex?
> Someone there
> will almost certainly know how to do it. Whatever the solution, it will
> involve the \addtoendnotes command, that one can use to write page
> information to the endnotes file. The hard part will be how to figure out
> what page the LAST endnote on the page is for.

I haven't really looked into it. It is just something I'll like to
learn sooner or later, because I can tell I will eventually need it. I
do agree that the tex gurus on comp.text.tex would probably know how
to handle it.

>> 2. "unnumbered endnotes", where the marker of the note is invisible in
>> the text (i.e. there is no marker), and is made up of the last 3 or 4
>> words before the endnote marker in the endnote itself. For instance,
>> you may have a sentence such as:
>>
>> "This is a sentence I just made up to illustrate some
>> Humanities-specific way of using endnotes without using markers in the
>> text itself"
>>
>> And the endnote could be something like:
>>
>> "<i>without using markers</i>  Some Humanities publishers really
>> dislike endnotes and footnotes and will only accept them if the text
>> appears not to have any. See, for instance, the following books..."
>>
> This one looks bad. I doubt it's possible to recover the previous text. But
> one could mark it more or less like this:
>    way of using endnotes \enote{without using markers}{Some Humanities...}
> in the text itself
> and get that to do the right thing, I think. But it would probably involve
> rewriting a lot of the endnote code.

In fact, I guess this one is easier than the previous one. I think
memoir allows pretty much any latex code to serve as endnote marker,
so it is should be possible to work something out. Again, this has
just been in the back of my mind so far.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies            Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org