On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, John Levon wrote:

> On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, Baruch Even wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 11 Dec 2000, John Levon wrote:
> >
> > > Baruch, how does ImageMagick render EPS figures ? Does it really have its
> > > own renderer, or does it call gs to do the job ?
> >
> > I believe it uses ghostscript, but it uses it to convert to some bitmap
> > format and then uses internal methods to convert it to the requested
> > format.
>
> Well isn't it a bit silly to use ImageMagick to use ghostscript  for the
> common case of rendering EPS figures ?

The thing is that I was requested by Lars to avoid the gs rendering way
(at least for the initial version) due to the many problems that it
creates.

Besides its easier to have a single generic renderer that encompasses all
at once, it is possible to add specific cases for other image loaders, be
it one that uses gs or it could be one that uses specific libraries, there
are imlib, imlib2 and gdk-pixbuf that come with gnome that can be used for
this purpose.

The trouble that exists, is that ghostscript can be used either to create
jpeg (or gif) or it can load to X11 pixmap, but Xforms doesn't load jpegs
and gifs (at least not in the 0.88 version), so it left me with only the

> You've said before that a new renderer based on gs only could be used in
> the new graphics stuff. If I have time I'll add such a renderer once the
> rest is stable in 1.2.0

I hope to have a complete framework for this by the time I commit my work
to cvs. Note that the current code has changed significantly, so any work
should be delayed until the new code is deposited.

--
  Baruch Even

http://techst02.technion.ac.il/~sbaruch/   (My Site)
http://www.redrival.com/jindor/            (My brothers AD&D site)

" Learn to laugh ... it's the path to true love! "
   - The Angel in the movie Michael