On Thu, 14 Dec 2000, Allan Rae wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Dec 2000, John Levon wrote:
>

> > Apparently a distributed LyX will compile perfectly under non GNU-Make,
> > apart from the optimisation in po/Makefile.in.in, using := instead of
> > =
> >
> > This small patch changes it to calculate the list of Makefile.am files
> > at configure time. This better reflects the place where Makefile.am
> > additions/removals are made, and apparently will allow a non GNU-Make
> > build (I haven't tested this, but am going on comments from the mailing
> > list).
> >
> > Comments ?
>
> Apart from the comments in the patch giving the wrong impression your

:(

I didn't mean to be unclear.

> patch looks like a reasonable improvement upon just doing s/:=/=/ to
> po/Makefile.in.in.
>
> You could also change the shell commands in configure.in to:
>       find $(srcdir)/src -name Makefile.am | ...
>
> (ie. leave out the `cd` and let find do that).

try it ! Now tell me how I remove the leading "./" and replace that with
"$(srcdir)/". Now tell me how that works if a different ${srcdir} is set.

What you suggest is what I did originally.

> However, the simplest solution is probably the right one in this case --
> s/:=/=/
>
> Otherwise we add another complication to an already twisted po/Makefile
> creation process -- yes, I know this is just a simple variable
> substitution but so far all the mods to po/Makefile.in.in have been self
> contained and Lars didn't really like me making those mods earlier anyway
> because po/Makefile.in.in is actually part of the gettext distro (and
> [c|w]ould be overwritten next time we update the bundled gettext).
>
> Lars? Others? What would you prefer?

Sure. How often is this rule and its upstream parents
triggered anyway ?

thanks
john

--
"Kaa's Law: In any sufficiently large group of people most are idiots."
"Adams' Corollary: "sufficiently large" is around 1."