Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

| > Which IMHO is wrong since that is not what LaTeX does by default.
|
| I think that LyX is too LaTeX-centric.

and I see nothing wrong with that...

| LyX should be a document processor
| that uses LaTeX as its typesetter, and not a frontend to LaTeX.

Then we should also stop using latex classes to help us. We should
genereate cusom latex class files to do what we want. And _I_ will not
be advocating that.

| Furthermore, we might add in the future support for other typesetters
| (e.g. lout).

Actually I do not thing we should add "deep" support for other
typesetters, but only as another export format.

| So it shouldn't matter what is the default in LaTeX.

It matters since "article" is supposed to give the same output as
article.cls. and should thus look as close as possible.

| > What if I want a flush-left tabular?
| > Which is the default in LaTeX, and also already in LyX.
|
| Then insert the table as inlined.

inlined?  you seem to put an equality sign between "display" and
"centered" which imho is wrong.

| Ideally, we shouldn't have paragraph properties, so you can only control the
| paragraph appearance by selecting the proper layout (of course, this will
| happen when there will be an easy way to define layouts).
| So in this case, centered could(should) be a property of the inset.

No, even in that case I do not agree. regardless of how and where the
inset is placed it is in a paragraph.

| Note that I don't know if this is really the right thing to do. I just gave
| some  justification for it.

very well.

        Lgb