On Jan 5, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Jerry wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Since I have probably complained the most about the scrolling problem on OS
> X, I thought I would (finally) try a bisection.
>
> Here is what I already know based on downloaded binaries: The problem
> occurred in at least two stages, between 1.6.10 and 2.0 and again between 2.0
> and 2.0.4. I would rate these versions as:
>
>  1.6.10 Very Good
>  2.0    Fair
>  2.0.4  Bad
>
> (I speculate that 1.6.10 is not "Excellent" only because the smallest
> scrolling increment is substantially greater than one pixel, causing the
> scrolling to be very fast but not "glassy smooth".)
>
> I have installed Git and studied the manpage at git help bisect. However, I
> am going to need some help as I'm a little wobbly on what to do. I can find
> my way around SVN but Git seems to be a different creature. In SVN, each
> commit creates a new version of trunk that is labeled with a serial version
> number, thus making it easy to make the local repository match any version
> number. I haven't yet figured out how to do that with Git. Also, I need help
> to learn how to actually compile the code. I think I have all the
> prerequisites already installed on my machine.
>
> These notes and questions might be pertinent:
>
> I am building on OS X 10.7.5 (Lion).
>
> Do I need to worry about 32-bit versus 64-bit builds? I'm sure this depends
> on my Qt libraries which are:
>
> Qt version is 4.8.3_1+quartz (via MacPorts). (I also have an older version,
> probably 4.7, that I downloaded as a binary from Nokia or Trolltech. If I
> don't do anything special, the build will be against the MacPorts version.)
>
> How do I build without debugging code present that could potentially skew the
> results?
>
> I have a version of LyX that I built from SVN almost exactly one year
> ago--its version is given as 2.1.0svn. It has a corresponding
> (preferences???) file in which I added or edited a line according to
> suggestions from this list which caused the scrolling behavior to improve
> substantially but which also caused the cursor position to be slightly wrong.
> I don't think other 2.x builds see this but I'm not 100% certain. I forget
> the details of how I edited that file but my recollection is that it is not
> seen by other 2.0.x builds. (I don't want to touch that 2.1.0svn build
> because it works pretty well.)
>
> SO IN SUMMARY:
> * How do I update my my local repository to perform the above-mentioned two
> bisections?
>
> * How do I compile?
>
> Jerry

I did this:

./autogen.sh
./configure \
    --with-version-suffix=-2.0 \
    --with-libiconv-prefix=/usr \
    --with-x=no \
    --disable-stdlib-debug \

--prefix=/Applications/Words/LyX_outer_folder/lyx-build-develop-jb-debug/LyX.app
 \
    --with-qt4-dir=/opt/local/lib \
    --enable-build-type=release
make
make install-strip

and got this:

<snip>
  CXX      Thesaurus.o
  CXXLD    lyx
  "_libiconv_close", referenced from:
      (anonymous namespace)::iconv_codecvt_facet::~iconv_codecvt_facet()in
liblyxsupport.a(docstream.o)
      (anonymous namespace)::iconv_codecvt_facet::~iconv_codecvt_facet()in
liblyxsupport.a(docstream.o)
      lyx::IconvProcessor::convert(char const*, unsigned long, char*, unsigned
long)in liblyxsupport.a(unicode.o)
      lyx::IconvProcessor::Impl::~Impl()in liblyxsupport.a(unicode.o)
  "_libiconv", referenced from:
      (anonymous namespace)::iconv_codecvt_facet::do_out(__mbstate_t&, wchar_t
const*, wchar_t const*, wchar_t const*&, char*, char*, char*&) constin
liblyxsupport.a(docstream.o)
      (anonymous namespace)::iconv_codecvt_facet::do_in(__mbstate_t&, char
const*, char const*, char const*&, wchar_t*, wchar_t*, wchar_t*&) constin
liblyxsupport.a(docstream.o)
      lyx::IconvProcessor::convert(char const*, unsigned long, char*, unsigned
long)in liblyxsupport.a(unicode.o)
  "_libiconv_open", referenced from:
      (anonymous
namespace)::iconv_codecvt_facet::iconv_codecvt_facet(std::basic_string<char,
std::char_traits<char>, std::allocator<char> > const&, std::_Ios_Openmode,
unsigned long)in liblyxsupport.a(docstream.o)
      lyx::IconvProcessor::init()     in liblyxsupport.a(unicode.o)
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[4]: *** [lyx] Error 1
make[3]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make[2]: *** [install] Error 2
make[1]: *** [install-recursive] Error 1
make: *** [install-strip] Error 2

What went wrong? Recall that I'm on OS X 10.7.5. I have the following libraries
installed:

/opt/local/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.a
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.dylib
/opt/local/lib/libiconv.la

/usr/lib/libiconv.2.4.0.dylib
/usr/lib/libiconv.2.dylib
/usr/lib/libiconv.dylib

My PATH is:

/opt/local/bin:/opt/local/sbin:/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/Applications:/usr/local/adacore-gnat-2011/bin

Jerry