On Jan 5, 2013, at 8:30 PM, Jerry wrote:

> Hi List,
>
> Since I have probably complained the most about the scrolling problem on OS
> X, I thought I would (finally) try a bisection.
> <snip>
> Jerry

Hmmm.... I just found this old script laying around and ran it on a recent
master branch:

cd /Applications/Words/LyX_outer_folder/lyx-git/lyx
LDFLAGS="-arch x86_64 -liconv"
CFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
CPPFLAGS="-arch x86_64"
./autogen.sh
./configure \
  --with-x=no \
  --disable-stdlib-debug \
  --disable-nls \
  --enable-optimization=-O2 \
  --enable-build-type=release \
  --prefix=/Applications/Words/LyX_outer_folder/Lyx-dev-app/LyX-dev.app
make
make install
make clean

and got a LyX that scrolls "very good"! (It's only 45 MB which is about 1/10
the size of other builds.) I'll do more testing tomorrow but it scrolls through
the User's Guide in 7.7 seconds. (v 2.0.5 takes 21.7 seconds to scroll through
the User's Guide.) Scrolling is not glitch-free but close to that--still some
hesitation in places and a little uneven--faster where there is less text. I
think this could be as good as 1.6.10.

[There remains still another old problem where slow two-finger scrolling on the
trackpad when the cursor is in the content region of the main window is
completely ignored--no scrolling for you! But when the cursor is moved to the
thumb bar the problem disappears. I'll investigate that separately.]

Here is the content of the About LyX > Build Info window (which scrolls
_perfectly_, BTW) for this build:

LyX 2.1.0dev (2011-04-29)
Built on Jan  9 2013, 01:15:06
Configuration
Host type:                    x86_64-apple-darwin11.4.2
Special build flags:          build=release
C++ Compiler:                 g++ (4.2.1)
C++ Compiler LyX flags:
C++ Compiler flags:            -O2
Linker flags:
Linker user flags:
Qt 4 Frontend:
    Qt 4 version:               4.8.3
Packaging:                    macosx
LyX binary dir:
/Applications/Words/LyX_outer_folder/Lyx-dev-app/LyX-dev.app/Contents/MacOS
LyX files dir:
/Applications/Words/LyX_outer_folder/Lyx-dev-app/LyX-dev.app/Contents/Resources

Jerry