On 13-Jan-13 6:10 PM, Uwe Stöhr wrote:
Am 13.01.2013 07:13, schrieb Zohar Levi:

I apologize for my rudeness. Sometimes when someone doesn't listen, and I need
to repeat myself three times, I lose control, even if he has the best intentions.

But I have only written one mail to you and only read one mail from you.

"That LyX supports boxes that are larger then the page width?"
"...it displays 100 col% as consuming 100 % of your screen width..."

In the first sentence you imply that lyx supports boxes up to a page size. In
the second sentence, you correct yourself, and admit that it supports boxes up
to half a page size (in a double column paper).

"col%" means the width of the columns. In LaTeX allows you to have up to 10 columns. In this case 100 col% would be less then 10 page%.
The problem for LyX is that there is no UI to handle this.

But what we can do is to support the 2-column case. I think that should be easy to do. I set up a bug report that this won't be forgotten:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8502
(I am not sure that everybody agrees to implement this.)

I understand that it is annoying for you that you need 2 consecutive boxes with 100 col% and LyX screws their view. They will be displayed readable if you place then below each other. In case that this is not possible due to the line break in LaTeX that will then be added, you have no other choice than to use TeX code.

(You might have seen that especially for the paper classes LyX still forces you in some circumstances to use TeX code. For LyX 2.1 we could improve the situation a lot.)

So yes to your question; I
expect from lyx to support boxes, figures, tables that span two column - I don't
think it is that rare, e.g. my case.

LyX already supports tables and figures that can span columns as I wrote.
For boxes this is not possible because LateX does not support this. If you find a way how to achieve this, please tell us and open an enhancement bug report that we can support this in LyX.

regards Uwe

Thanks, I appreciate it. Just to emphasize it again, I don't need two consecutive boxes of 100 %col, but one box of 207 %col ~= 100 %page, which is embedded inside a float that spans two columns. Why - because of the limitations of the siggraph teaser (see my initial post).

Zohar