I would really love to be able to conveniently edit the TeX code directly - I'd be vastly more productive. I find lyx gui editing - as all other math editors - to be terribly frustrating and unproductive. I used LaTeX since 1980s, and the lack of this is the only thing that makes me think twice before deciding to use
LyX instead of just using LaTeX.

OOps, sorry wrong thread!

You can edit directly the TeX code by selecting the equation inside math mode (ctrl+C) and paste outside math mode (ctrl+V) then you will have the TeX code directly (you can also place TeX code directly without to enter math mode). When you finished select again your Tex code and press Ctrl+M. Voilá.

HTH
Alex