Opinions are cheap, so I guess I'll offer mine.

Patents are one thing I know next to nothing about, so that may be a game
stopper to begin with, as Richard pointed out. I may be in the minority
here, but in general I think the ribbon toolbar is a useful improvement for
Microsoft products (at least Excel, Word, and Powerpoint). It makes sense
to me since it allows easier access to all of those functions hidden 4 menu
items deep. For this reason, I personally dislike using older MS Word, for
example, and don't find Open/Libre Office to be any better (I think a
ribbon interface would be a big improvement for libreoffice). Then again, I
prefer to use LyX over either of those, but when I don't have a choice I
prefer Word with the ribbon interface.

Despite my generally favorable opinion of the ribbon toolbar, however, I do
not find myself wishing for it in LyX. I like the icons, and leave them
there, but typically find myself using keyboard shortcuts as soon as I can
learn them. My biggest concern about the ribbon toolbar is that it eats up
your vertical screen real-estate. Unfortunately, monitors seem to be
getting wider, not taller.

All that said, I would of course be interested to see how it turned out if
someone were to undertake the endeavor. I might be pleasantly surprised.

Jacob