On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:52 AM, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org> wrote:
> Am Donnerstag, 4. April 2013 um 07:38:55, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
> <skost...@lyx.org>
>
>> On Thu, Apr 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM, Kornel Benko <kor...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
>> > Am Donnerstag, 4. April 2013 um 07:13:35, schrieb Scott Kostyshak
>
>> > <skost...@lyx.org>

>> > I can reproduce manually. Now there _is_ a core. And also
>
>> > bug-8370.lyx.emergency,
>

>> > which was there from the automatic test too. We could check for the
>
>> > existence
>

>> > of this file.
>

>> Yes, that seems like a good idea. It would also be nice to figure out
>
>> why the tests are reporting as passed if they create a core and a
>
>> .emergency file for you. From what I remember, the test returns failed
>
>> if when it checks to see if LyX is still running, it is not (and thus
>
>> it assumes a pre-mature exit). Can you try running the test with a
>
>> pause after the crash should have been triggered? This should give
>
>> some more time for LyX to disappear so that the test realizes it is
>
>> gone and that the test should fail. If that's not the case, then I'm
>
>> not sure what's going on. Somehow the LyX process must still be
>
>> sticking around. Or at least the PID maybe?
>

>> Scott
>

> Inserting "Sleep 1" above "TestEnd" makes the test fail here.
>
> Funny thing is, that now even without the "Sleep", the test is now failing.
>
> BUT, if I remove the core first, then the test passes.
>
> (in one of three tries)

I guess this means that the time it takes to remove the previous core
is just enough to make it sometimes fail.

> With the Sleep it failes all the time (tried 10 times)

OK. I haven't looked at the code but I'm guessing there's already a
delay in-between the last command and when the PID is tested. We could
increase that. If it's not there, we could add it.

I wonder if a better way of doing this is to put the burden of exiting
LyX on the test. For example, each test could simply execute
'lyx-quit' at the end. We would have to deal with the "Save changed
document?" dialog by executing a tab (to get to "Discard") and return.

We could then use the 'wait' command. It seems that this would
simplify things a lot.  The 'wait' command has two advantages:
(1) We don't have to manually check the PID (which we saw gives problems)
and
(2) We can get the return code.

I don't know if that's better or worse. But that's the only
alternative I can think of.

Scott