Am 03.05.2013 22:00, schrieb Richard Heck:

>>      Fix a long-standing FIXME by resetting only the counter for
top-level
     sectioning when we see an appendix. This fixes bug #8271, whose root
     cause was the fact that we were resetting all the counters inside
ERT.

Note that this commit is also in branch, at ecb65e70

I see this with articles, but not with books, as long as the appendix is
a chapter (which it should be).

Here is the relevant question: Shouldn't Part have toclevel -1?

It has. Articles don't have chapters, but parts, so we then have leven - 1 for parts and 1 for sections but no 0.

However, your commit introduced a regression to LyX 2.0.4:
http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/8666

So I vote to revert your change until a better solution is found.

regards Uwe