---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Vincent van Ravesteijn <v...@lyx.org>
Date: Fri, May 17, 2013 at 7:47 AM
Subject: Re: LyX convention for squash vs. merge/rebase?
To: Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>

On Fri, May 17, 2013 at 5:11 AM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:

> On Thu, May 16, 2013 at 8:34 PM, Cyrille Artho <c.ar...@aist.go.jp> wrote:
> > Hi Scott,
> > IMHO many small commits are almost always a lot better.
> >
> > "git bisect" can be very useful in tracking down problems when you have
> many
> > small commits. With a single huge commit, that feature is almost useless.
> >
> > This benefit alone outweighs the small drawback of having multiple commit
> > messages. (If you used meaningful messages during your commits, they in
> > themselves can also be helpful.)
>
> Thanks for your comments Cyrille. I committed the series here:
> 0d434033..43d71022
>
> I'd still be interested in what others prefer for the future.

In general I like to split up things, especially if it reflects the thought
process of a change, or if things get added step-by-step, such that the
individual commits are much more comprehensible. But, I am not interested
in commits that indicate that someone changed his mind a few times, or that
he was forgotten to do something or did it wrong in the first place. For
example, a commit like "English tweaks" shouldn't be there in general, but
in this case it makes sense because you show what you changed in the
original patch of Yihui.

A separate thing is that we might want to merge in such a change. That
would cause the master branch to have much fewer commits (if you use
--first-parent-only).
Vincent