On Mon, Sep 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM, Josh Hieronymus
<josh.p.hierony...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> In my opinion, language should be taken from the document settings
>> since it is already a setting. I think for other fields such as author
>> this should be taken from an inset defined by the module/layout. But
>> this might be because I don't know anything about EPUB. Can I export
>> any document in LyX to EPUB with your method? I would just export from
>> the file menu? Or do I have to first add a module?
>

> Right now, things are set up so that any document can be exported to EPUB
> using the File>Export menu option without adding an extra module.
>

>> Perhaps an extra
>> "EPUB fields" module could be useful in which the necessary (author
>> name) and optional fields are implemented with custom insets.
>

> Is there a good way to distinguish between necessary fields and optional
> fields? Also, another issue to consider is that while some fields are not
> necessary insofar as EPUB validation is concerned, different distributors
> might require several such fields to be provided.

Support for optional arguments has been improved in 2.1. See Help >
Customization "5.3.6 Paragraph styles" and look for "Arguments".
I'm still not sure this is the best way to do it. I hope someone more
knowledgeable comes along and gives their opinion. Perhaps a Document
Setting is indeed best. I wanted to avoid that if possible, but it
would be more straightforward than a module and you would have more
control over the interface.

>> > What I'd like to implement at some point:
>> > - optional conversion of images to SVG format
>> > Note: Vector-based graphics scale better than raster-based graphics,
>> > making
>> > them well-suited for electronic media.
>> > Note: EPUB specifications require compliant e-readers to support SVG.
>> > Note: Older versions of some browsers (primarily IE) don't support SVG.
>> > Note: Preliminary searches turn up a package named dvisvgm
>> > (http://www.ctan.org/pkg/dvisvgm) that converts DVI to SVG, and it's
>> > licensed under the GPL v3 or later.
>> > - ability to split large XHTML files into smaller ones
>> > Note: Splitting large XHTML files should boost the performance of the
>> > converted EPUB documents.
>> > - allow selection of an image for front cover artwork
>> > Note: Amazon requires JPEG or TIFF format for front cover artwork.
>>
>> Thanks for this information. What about EPS/PDF? What are their
>> advantages/disadvantages versus SVG?
>

> Good question. As far as EPUB is concerned, the only images that are
> required to be supported by compliant e-readers are GIFs, JPEGs, PNGs, and
> SVGs, so SVGs are (supposed to be) natively supported, while PDFs and EPSs
> aren't necessarily supported, and are required to use a supported type as a
> fallback. For HTML in general, most web browsers support SVGs (it helps that
> the SVG standard is developed by the W3C), and I think that they don't
> typically support EPSs. I'm not sure about to what extent web browsers
> support embedded PDFs, though preliminary research suggests that most might.
> Another issue with PDFs is that they serve as containers for both vector-
> and raster-based information, so if they contain any raster-based info, that
> portion will appear pixelated when zoomed in.

Interesting. This is good to know. Also, a quick search suggests that
one can embed raster images in SVGs as well (with base64 encoding):
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6249664/does-svg-support-embedding-of-bitmap-images

Scott