The first project in our wiki page for GSOC 2014:

http://wiki.lyx.org/GSoC/GSoCProjectIdeasFor2014

is, at the same time, the most ambitious and the least well-defined
(possibly because the former implies the latter).

It is not clear to me if this a coding project or if it defines the outline
of a preliminary non-coding feasibility study that would, at most, produce
a document describing the minimal-lyx and minimal-docx feature sets (plus,
possibly, a minimal-lyx-layout and a minimal-doc-template).

Any thought on how to make it more focused?

Perhaps we could define the goals as:

1. Define a minimal-lyx feature set (I.e. the supported LyX/LaTeX features)
2. Write a corresponding lyx-layout
3. Define a minimal-doc feature set  (Word/ODF features corresponding to (1)
4, Write a Word/OO template (the set of styles corresponding to 2)
5. Provide an automated path from 1 to 4 and back using glue-code and
existing internal and external tools (e.g.: LyX export functions to
XHTML/EPub, eLyxer, pandoc, writer2latex, etc).

I am not sure points 1-5 above capture the existing description, partly
because I am not sure about what is meant by "develop a framework". Perhaps
my summary caputeres the subgoal only?

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org