stefano franchi <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 5:21 PM, Cyrille Artho <c.ar...@aist.go.jp> wrote:
>> I agree. A user who is interested in using LyX is also going to install
>> LibreOffice (if it's not already installed). Furthermore, we can't expect
>> student participants to pay hundreds of dollars just to be able to test the
>> converter.
>>

>> Richard Heck wrote:

>>> I would have thought it was in the spirit of the project to focus on ODF.
>>> Word reads and writes it, and anyone who's a Word-user can download and
>>> use
>>> Libre Office for free without much loss.
>>>

> I agree, in principle and on practical grounds too (see the
> possibility to leverage tex4ht). However, it is true that the eventual
> users of the Lyx-->Doc converter (and of the roundtrip tool) will
> overwhelmingly be Word users, not LibreOffice users. Before we choose
> to go down the ODF path I would very much like to test whether the
> core features we are interested in---semantic marking, footnotes,
> math,  changes, notes and possibly frames---can survive the
> ODF<-->Word round trip.
>
> Is anyone with Word willing to carry out the test? I can provide a
> test document in ODF format.

I can test it on a Mac. If you send me the document privately, I can

1) save it in LibreOffice 4.1.2.3 as .docx
2) open it in MS Word:Mac 2011 14.3.9
3) compare the documents
4) do a minor edit (if you have any specific edits I shoud do, please
let me know)
5) save it again
6) open it in LibreOffice

I will also create pdfs of each stage.

We have to keep in mind, that it seems that at least MS Office 2011 on
a Mac *can not* read and write .odt files. If somebody using a newer
version of OS Office for Mac can confirm this?

Cheers,

Rainer

> S.

UCT), Dipl. Phys. (Germany)