On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 1:16 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM, stefano franchi
> <stefano.fran...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Question for the LaTeX font experts:
>>
>> Is there a *single* font family that contains enough glyphs to cover
>> Latin scrpts plus European diacritics and Greek and Cyrillic and can
>> be used with DVI output?
>>
>> Background:
>>
>> - The Word-export strategy I am exploring in some depth goes through
>> tex4ht, which relies on DVI. Although it is compatible with xelatex
>> and hence (I think)  unicode input file, it is not compatible with the
>> fontspec package. Hence only LaTeX fonts can be used.
>>
>> - I am testing the export of a simple multi-language file that
>> includes bits in Greek polytonic and Russian (plus other European
>> languages) and I am trying to find a single font covering all of the
>> above, so we can get the relevant characters over into Word/ODT(where
>> they may be changed at will).
>>

>> - I thought Linux Libertine could fit the bill, as it is known to have
>> a very wide coverage. Unfortunately it could not get it to play nice
>> with tex4ht.
>>
> Did you use \usepackage{libertine}, for the LaTeX font?
> http://www.ctan.org/pkg/libertine

I did. That's what I meant when I said that I tried Linux Libertine.
But the libertine package (which works flawlessly when used with
standard XeTeX)
gives me a lot of errors when used with tex4ht

> Also, have you tried cm-lgc – Type 1 CM-based fonts for Latin, Greek
> and Cyrillic?
> http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/fonts/ps-type1/cm-lgc/

I haven't tried these, thanks for the pointer. From a quick look at
the README file, I suspect they are not what I need, since they
involve the use of the whole virtual font machinery that I was trying
to avoid.
But I need to read more on XeTeX use without fontspec. I am probably
misunderstanding somethig basic about its dealing with fonts.

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org