In Git, it is easy to change the date of a commit, for example with

    git commit --amend --date="$(date -R)"

I have not been doing this because my first thought is that the date
should reflect when the patches were written.

Is there any guideline on when the date of a patch should be
"updated"? I've searched online but most results are about _how_ to
update the date.

As an example, I have a couple of patches from January that I am about
to commit to master. I updated one of the patches to revert a
temporary fix. Since I changed the patch (even though just by adding
one line) should I update the date?

Scott