On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 7:02 AM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com> wrote:

> stefano franchi wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Apr 28, 2014 at 6:29 AM, Neal Becker <ndbeck...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I have read that biblatex is the way of the future.  Unfortunately, I
> >> understand
> >> that lyx does not currently support biblatex.
> >>

> > Lyx supports biblatex *partially*. You can use biblatex in lyx with a few
> > workarounds, all detailed in the corresponding wiki page:
> > http://wiki.lyx.org/BibTeX/Biblatex.
> >
> > In short, you have to load biblatex and the bib files manually in the
> > preamble, and you have to enter a command in ERT in your text to instruct
> > LyX to print out the list of references. You are still able to enter
> > references through a dialog box as you would when using bibtex. In
> > practical terms, using biblatex in lyx is not much different from using
> > bibtex, at least if you use the standard styles and citing commands.
> > Having full support would be great, but the current setup is more than
> > usable.
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Stefano
> >

> Oh, thanks!
>
> One note.  It seems biber is not supported at least on Fedora linux.
>  Fedora
> ships texlive 2013.  I can't seem to find any biber there, and from what
> messages I found on google, I think maybe it's not maintained?  I have used
> biblatex using bibtex backend instead of biber.

Biber is under active development, actually, and well maintained. I use the
version distributed with TexLive 2013, which is now frozen at 1.8 (TexLive
2013 is frozen, since the TexLive 2014 is about to come out). I don't know
how Fedora packages Texlive (I'm on Archlnux), perhaps it behaves like
Debian/Ubuntu and splits it into several packages? In hat case you may be
missing one of the extra packages.

Cheers,

Stefano

Stefano Franchi
Associate Research Professor
Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
College Station, Texas, USA

stef...@tamu.edu
http://stefano.cleinias.org