  From: stefano franchi
  To: LyX-Devel
  Cc: Prannoy Pilligundla
  Sent: Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:25 AM
  Subject: [GSOC/LyX<-->Word]: Math export to ODT issues

  Dear all,

  I would love to get some feedback on the issue of Math export to OpenOffice's
ODT,  which Prannoy is currently working on.

  We have a fairly comprehensive test document (lifted from the latex2rtf
project) with many different kinds of math expressions. In total, there are 73
math constructs (both inline and display). Tex4ht converts  these expressions
to self-standing MathML files (later embedded in the ODT file) and inserts the
correct references in the main document.

  Unfortunately, the final converted file has many errors. To be precise 14 out
of the 72 expressions are not correctly visualized.

  However, a careful review of the code produced by tex4ht reveals that the
MathML expressions it produces are indeed correct in all cases but one. It is
OpenOffice that fails to properly render the MathML code.

  Put it otherwise: of the 14 rendering errors, 13 turn out to be OpenOffice
bugs, and 1 a tex4ht bug.

  I don't think there is much we can do about the the OpenOffice bugs, beside
filing reports. Besides, a quick survey of the Libre|OpenOffice forums shows
that indeed MathML's support is far from satisfactory, but no one, as far as I
can tell, is apparently working on it. It is very low priority.

  So here is the question: how do we proceed on the math conversion front?

  1. Should we concentrate on creating a system to export the original LaTeX
expressions as annotation fields in the ODT file for the roundtrip conversion?

  2. Or should we perhaps explore ways to get around the existing problems,
such as, for example, converting the troublesome expressions to images instead
of MathML?

  I guess the answer depends on the user scenarios. If cooperation for final
production of pdf from LyX is primary, we should go for (1). If a final export
to ODT  aimed to either publishers or public at large is the goal, perhaps we
should investigate (2).

  I am not a heavy math user by any means, so my imagination is kind of lacking
on this front.

  Cheers,

  Stefano

  Stefano Franchi
  Associate Research Professor
  Department of Hispanic Studies         Ph:   +1 (979) 845-2125
  Texas A&M University                          Fax:  +1 (979) 845-6421
  College Station, Texas, USA

  stef...@tamu.edu
  http://stefano.cleinias.org