Dekel Tsur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote: > On Thu, Jan 25, 2001 at 05:26:56PM +0100, Marcus Beyer wrote: > > AFAIK the support of bitmap fonts has only two important effects: > > 1. Many new LyX users have do make the "ugly-fonts-experience", > > at least when they publish their documents to the web, > > where most people view them with Acroread. > > 2. The target document becomes device dependent, > > what means that some devices are supported better than others. > > I do agree that we should try to force an output with outline fonts. > The question is how to do it: > First, we should always add \usepackage{ae} when using the "default" (Computer > Modern) fonts and T1 font encoding. > This is suffices if you use pdflatex/dvipdfm. Now we should handle dvips, > which by default, do not use outline fonts. I disagree. - LyX should not interfare with the users' TeX installation; - LyX must not try to outsmart users' configurations. In this specific case, if a user set up his/her dvips/dvipdfm/pdftex to embed bitmapped fonts to his/her documents, then LyX shall respect user's preference. I've also read the users-list discussion. Clearly the outcome can be summarized to: - if a user doesn't read the documentation of TeX/LyX, then s/he won't get a optimal outputs; - ae produces suboptimal results if a user has either installed a commercial EC fonts or tune up Metafont parameter correctly to suit his/her devices. So, it is fine to add an intuitive font set up dialog, but the default should be left as is. And now here is my personal situation. I have an access to someone else's Window 98 machine connected to an old Epson printer. The printer driver is buggy and from within Acroread outline fonts embedded into a document are printed with foreground and background colour interchanged, which results in unreadable documents. The solutions can be either to embed bitmap fonts to PDF documents, or to use such a crude hack as pslatex which doesn't suit me since I use a lot of math (Win98 correctly remaps Adobe standard fonts to pre-installed system standard ones). In fact, I set up my - pdftex/config/pdftex.cfg to embed bitmapped fonts, - dvips/config/config.ps to download (embed) Type1 fonts, so that I can selectively use either configuration. Regards, SMiyata