On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 2:12 PM, Richard Heck <rgh...@lyx.org> wrote:

>  On 11/09/2014 10:35 AM, stefano franchi wrote:
>

> On Sun, Nov 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller <sp...@lyx.org> wrote:
>
>> stefano franchi wrote:
>> > Right. But if going for a change in the Document dialog, the Bibtex
>> inset
>> > would become overkill, wouldn't it? It'd be better to create a new and
>> much
>> > simpler inset.
>>
>> Why? You can attach a different dialog to it if biblatex is used. The
>> advatage
>> of using the existing inset is that people can switch existing documents
>> from/to biblatex easily (without having to replace insets).
>>
>> The inset itself will output what is requested in either case.
>>

>  Not sure I get this, will get back to it when I understand the machinery
> better.
>

> Jurgen just means that the cite engine can be set in Document> Settings>
> Bibliography as it is now, and then when someone clicks on the BibTeX inset
> we can launch different dialogs depending upon which engine is in use. I'm
> not totally sure how to do that right now, but we can figure it out.

Ah, ok, thanks for clarifying. I had thought Jurgen meant a full-blown
biblatex panel could be accessible (only)  from the document settings panel
(i.e. Dmitri's suggestion).

>   I am starting to take a look at the full set of biblatex's citing
> commands for the biblatex module, and it's overwhelming to say the least.
> Will need to aim low, at least  at the beginning. Some of the commands may
> not be implementable with the current machinery, I am afraid (e.g. the low
> level commands that pick a specified field from a bibtex ref), or may be
> very tricky to render the LyX way (i.e. the autocite commands).
>  Will keep investigating.
>

> I'd start by implmenting the basics. We don't necessarily have to provide
> everything biblatex does at the very beginning. There is always ERT.

Agreed.

> I also wouldn't worry at the moment about support for files other than
> bibtex. Doing that will require writing (or finding) a parser of some sort
> for those other files that will do what InsetBibtex::parseBibTeXFiles()
> does for those.

Biblatex/biber now support bibtex, Ris, Zotero, and Endnote XML, with the
last three formats' support being marked as "experimental" (version 2.9a of
June 2014). Since it is  biber that actually parses those formats, it may
be possible to leverage biber itself from within LyX. At any rate, I fully
agree it is a premature question.

Cheers,

S.

Stefano Franchi