Nico Williams wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 17, 2015 at 08:45:04PM +0100, Georg Baum wrote:
>> One option which is probably easy to implement would be to mark the start
>> and end of the ERT inset with two unicode symbols from the private use
>> area (similar to META_INSET): We could define
>>
>> char_type const MATH_ERT_BEG = 0x200002;
>> char_type const MATH_ERT_END = 0x200003;
>
> You won't be able to $EDITOR a .lyx file and figure this out, unless
> your editor has a nice way to show such codepoints.

.lyx files are not supposed to be edited by anything else than LyX. If you
do that nevertheless you have to know what you are doing.

> Also, PUC codepoints might be in use in the surrounding environment...

This would be the problem of the "surrounding environment" (whatever that
means). The idea of the private use area is that any application can use
these symbols for internal purposes, so LyX can do anything it wants with
them in .lyx files.

I admit that using these symbols is not the most elegant solution, so feel
free to propose an alternative that does not require a huge implementation
effort.

> A new math inset is probably best.

The problem is at file format level, not at inset level.

> Using MathML as suggested by someone
> else would have the convenient aspect of being able to use XML
> namespaces.

Yes. This has only one tiny little problem: Given the current development
man power I see absolutely no way how this can be implemented for 2.2.0 (not
so much from an implementation point of view, but the mapping LyX math
insets <-> MathML needs to be defined very carefully. The currently existing
MathML export is only a rough start).

Georg