On 03/01/2015 03:11 AM, Liviu Andronic wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 9:00 AM, Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 2:14 AM, Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com> wrote:
On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Raymond Rogers
<raymond.roger...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi,
Thanks for the attention! I am not surprised you can't reproduce it; after
all I haven't been able to either. That's the reason I marked the priority
low and severity minor. I don't exacly know which of the repositories I get
it from. Synaptic has
Liviu Andronic <landronim...@gmail.com>
as the maintainer.

Then you're probably using the Developement PPA: these are daily
builds of experimental GIT code, so it's NOT recommended for
production use.
But if you're willing to accept the risk (and ask Liviu hints at, this
is a considerable risk), your testing and feedback is appreciated.

Absolutely. Feedback is always very much appreciated, especially on
development code. That is the very purpose of those packages: allow a
broad array of users to test development code, without the need to
build from source, and provide feedback.

My point was, though, that lyx2.2 should *only* be used in contained,
non-production environments mostly for testing purposes. Put
differently, don't trust your critical work files to bleeding-edge
code... unless you know what you're doing, and willingly take on the
risk, and have proper data backups in place.

My concern is that from the noises I hear on the ML it seems that
quite a number of unaware users update to 2.2 thinking that this is a
stable release, which it is NOT. Hence the stern warning I've just
added to the Development PPA (I'm open to suggestions if it should be
tweaked, toned up or down):
https://launchpad.net/~lyx-devel/+archive/ubuntu/daily

I would rather less users of the development packages, and that
interested parties ask question on the ML before adding that PPA to
their system; than users naively installing and upgrading to bleeding
edge LyX, then experiencing data loss or broken functionality.

Liviu

Scott

I know that it's development.  I am always willing to try things out and see
the advantages/disadvantages.  My work is mostly low level mathematics of a
nature such that an editor crash isn't significant.  Let me know how and when
you want things tested and I will try to accommodate it.
I would certainly stick to the "stable" versions if I wasn't just "fiddling";
keeping organized (?) readable notes.  Like a resume/CV or proposal that
involved
money.

Ray