On Wed, Apr 29, 2015 at 8:12 PM, Guillaume M-M <ga...@free.fr> wrote:
> On 04/25/15 07:18, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>>
>> Reported to lyx-users here:
>> https://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-users@lists.lyx.org/msg100825.html
>>
>> Reported and confirmed by multiple users here:
>> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/lyx/+bug/1430059
>>
>> I've reproduced this with both self-compiled and from the repos.
>>
>> The reason for why the menus are greyed out is not because the LFUNs
>> are disabled. In fact, if you run the command on the minibuffer it
>> works just fine. The problem is that Menu::updateView() is not even
>> being called when I click on the menu categories. For example, usually
>> (when this bug does not appear, e.g. on Ubuntu 14.10)
>> Menu::updateView() is called twice every time I click on "Document" (I
>> would be curious to know by the way why it is called twice and not
>> once). But on 15.04 it is not called at all when I click on the
>> "Document" menu.
>>
>> I have found a (partial) work around: if you press "alt" in Ubuntu it
>> brings up the HUD which searches the menu of the open application. For
>> example, if I press alt and then "sett" it shows me "Settings
>> (Document)", meaning that it found an entry under Document that
>> matches my search string. I can then press return and it is as if I
>> went to Document > Settings. After I open the HUD and type a letter,
>> all of the menus are refreshed (Menu::updateView() was called).
>> However, you have to do this each time you want the menus to be
>> refreshed.
>>
>> Does anyone feel like using Virtual Box to test out LyX on 15.04?
>>
>> Scott
>>

> Dear list,
>

> The bug appeared in indicator-appmenu after the following commit:
>
> <http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~indicator-applet-developers/indicator-appmenu/trunk.15.04/revision/267>
>
> See <https://bugs.launchpad.net/indicator-appmenu/+bug/1430059/comments/20>
> for more details. I continued the discussion there because it is not clear
> if the bug is in lyx or indicator-appmenu.
>
> Scott, I am willing to test out any patch against master on 15.04.
>
> In the meanwhile the workaround is to run lyx with the command line:
>   QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR=1 lyx
>
> or to adapt /usr/share/applications/lyx.desktop as follows:
>   Exec=env QT_X11_NO_NATIVE_MENUBAR=1 lyx %F
>

> Guillaume

Hi Guillaume,

Thanks for looking into this more. I'm not planning to work on it any
further because I am not that familiar with Qt. I agree with you that
it is possible that it's LyX's fault for not registering a signal.
However, since this problem only happens with Ubuntu and only with
Unity (I think?), that makes me think that it's not LyX's fault.
Hopefully we figure what the root problem is.

Scott