On 07/06/2015 12:19 PM, PhilipPirrip wrote:
Hi there,
I don't think there's currently a way to achieve this, but might be a very powerful feature: Let's say I want to define an inset that needs input from a LyX dialog. It could be a new citation inset that'll be used with biblatex, and the LyX dialog in question would be the Insert>Citation one. In general, one would want such insets that use some of LyX's infrastructure - be it citation, cross reference, language selection... I think flex insets have much more to offer and was wondering if there were any thoughts of expanding their use throughout LyX. Not all things (like the forementioned bib(la)tex citations) have to be hard-coded, much could be accomplished with user defined insets and modules... if only support for the use of LyX's infrastructure was there.

I've thought about this from time to time and may even have filed a bug about it. The idea would be to have "command" insets, like citation, whose fields can be determined dynamically through the layout machinery. I'm sure this is possible, but I'm also sure it would need someone who knew a lot more about Qt than I presently do.

Richard