Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Then, I must translate for people who do not read French. Essentially,
> if the plan is to use c++11 features starting from 2.3, and 2.2 requires
> c++98 compatibility, then backporting new code is going to involve
> unusual efforts, or discourage using the features as long as 2.3 is in
> master (while these features allow cleaner and more expressive code).
> Requiring c++11 ahead of time is what seems to guarantee a smoother
> transition.
>
> For now I am going to adapt my patch for 2.2, and clean it up later,
> once 2.3 opens.

I am a bit confused, maybe because my french is not good enough anymore;-)
My current understanding is this:

- qt5 + --enable-cxx11 does not compile. I verified this and that the patch
fixes the issue and does not break non-cxx11 builds, so I put it in.

- unique_ptr cannot be implemented safely without c++11, so as long as we
want to support C++98, you cannot use it. I agree with Jean-Marc here that
C++98 support in 2.2 should be maintained. My experience with backporting
from a diverging master is that it is usually not difficult to do, but of
course it will be more than git-cherrypick.

- something needs to be done about auto_ptr when compiling with C++11 to get
rid of the warnings, but we don't know the solution yet.

Did I miss anything?

Georg