Am 21.11.2015 um 18:28 schrieb Scott Kostyshak <skost...@lyx.org>:

> I would like to say that "you may install 2.2.0alpha1 without affecting
> your current installation of LyX" and that "you may use the two versions
> simulaneously without conflict". This is true on e.g. Ubuntu. Can
> someone confirm this is true for Mac and Windows?

It's true in the sense, that LyX 2.2.x is using a separate user directory.
With LyX 2.1.x it's $HOME/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.1 and it's
$HOME/Library/Application Support/LyX-2.2 with LyX 2.2.x. Besides this one
may have as many copies of LyX as one wants to. The disk image suggests
moving the LyX application to the Applications directory. In case the user
replaced the current one that way the installation affects (removes) the
current LyX 2.1.x application.

For Mac OS X the better phrase would be something like this:
"You may install LyX 2.2.0alpha1 for test purpose e.g. at your desktop
and run it without changing the user settings of your current installation.
You may even start it from the opened disk image without installing it.
That way you may use the two versions simulaneously without conflict."

Stephan