Am 20.11.2015 um 08:47 schrieb Guenter Milde:

Well, I not only discovered this bug in LyX, but also fixed it in a series
of commits. The current LyX-dev:

* writes \usepackage[latin9]{luainputenc} with LuaTeX, and

* uses ASCII encoding and no inputenc with XeTeX.

Thanks Günter,

I was using alpha1 for the testing. With latest 2.2git it works.

* LuaTeX and TeX fonts: compiling error:

     The first message points to chemgreek.sty:

       . Defining command \selectchemgreekmapping with sig. 'm' on line 485.
       ! Argument of \__str_case_end:nw has an extra }.
       <inserted text>
       \par
       l.573 \chemgreek_drop_symbols:

Same here.

As mhchem loads chemgreek.sty, it is the (indirect) reason for the failing
export test with LuaTeX.

What can we do? I know the author of mhchem and could report the problem.

Maybe we can describe mhchem in a separate document? After all it uses
"mathed" but is not about Mathematics.

My intention was not to separate this. chemical equations are formulas nevertheless. That mhchem nowadays load chemgreek is new.

However, I insist that our manuals are not designed to compile them with every font you like. They must be compilable out of the box on every LaTeX installation AND the PDF output must look the same on every platform. If you like to use special fonts you can do this in your own documents. Custom fonts for the manuals would lead to another PDF output (different page breaks, different number of characters per text line etc.) or make the document even uncompilable. The manuals are example how things work and this is independent of the fonts you might like or not. I therefore load the Latin Modern fonts if available because this way I can design the output (so that you could print them out and form a booklet out of them) and assure that all necessary characters are available.

regards Uwe