Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> Thanks to Georg for clearing up the regex situation.
>
> It would be nice to make an attempt at a fix for the Windows icon issue
> that Andrew has reported.

Yes, I think it does not make sense to release an alpha2 with this known
problem.

> Any opinions on putting this patch in alpha2?
>
> http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg190300.html

I would not put it in without further investigation. Enrico has clearly
identified 3 possible reasons for failures to load svgz files with qt 4.8.
The patch does only help for one of them, and only if gunzip is in the path.
I do not think that this can be expected on an average windows installation.

IMO it would be much better to find out which of the three reasons applies
here, and then act accordingly:

- Was qt compiled with zlib support? If not, recompile it with enabled zlib
and recompile LyX, or apply the patch and ensure that gunzip is in the path
(yet another dependency...)

- Was qt compiled as a static lib or as a dll? If it was compiled as a
static lib, either recompile as a dll, or implement the linker trick Enrico
mentioned (using a dll is better IMHO).

- If it was compiled as a dll, is the qsvg.dll installed in the correct
location? You can use tools like Process Monitor
(http://www.mail-archive.com/lyx-devel@lists.lyx.org/msg190300.html) to find
out which files
a process tries to open. This would show where LyX searches qsvg.dll (if at
all), and whether it is found. From the result of this investigation it is
hopefully clear what to do with qsvg.dll.

Georg