Sorry Scott,
It seems that I have missed your original reply.
I do not use the full screen mode, but even in a normal window, the letters are
just touching the border of the window, without any gutter or margin. For me
the text would be easier to read and manipulate if there was a small gutter at
least between the window border and the letters of the text. I use LyX under
OSX FYI.

Murat Yildizoglu