On 2016-04-05, Scott Kostyshak wrote:

> [-- Type: text/plain, Encoding:  --]

> On Mon, Apr 04, 2016 at 08:45:17AM +0000, Guenter Milde wrote:

>> For the other patch (acmsiggraph.layout with incompatible version but
>> same cls file name), I would wait for an agreement whether to update the
>> layout (file format change needed) or add a new one. My last preference
>> is an updated layout file.

> Does anyone disagree with having a new one?

I actually prefer an update over a new one:

UPDATE:

+1 keep *.cls file name and *.layout file name in sync.

+1 no new document class cluttering the selection list
   (especially as this is an "exotic" class (not on CTAN, not in TeXLive, ...)

+1 no need for *.cls version detection

+1 obsolete styles can be sorted in a new group "Obsolete" and be given
   a label indicating the status (see below).

-1 file format update required due to new styles

NEW "versioned" layout:

-1 different names for template/upstream documentclass and layout

-1 two layouts for a rarely used document class

+1 no file format update required

Whiche use cases must be ensured?

a) User has old *.cls file and old documents and wants to:

   - compile/print them for personal reference

     -> backwards compatibility (OK for both)

   - create a new doc based on

     * template
     * old doc

     -> must be pointed to new *.cls file and documentation

b) User has new *.cls file

   - printing old documents works only after removing unsupported styles

     -> user feedback (OK for both with suggestion below)

   - new styles should be supported (OK for both, with limitations due to
     the new categorization sheme requiring to insert ERT)

All use cases are covered by both variants.

If we go for an updated acmsiggraph.layout, there are the options:

1. ship with 2.2

   +1 up to date layout in 2.2
   -1 file format chang required
   -1 time pressure

2. ship with 2.3 no change for 2.2

   -1 obsolete layout/template/example in new lyx

3. provide the new layout at the wiki and ship with 2.3

   provide a partially updated layout with 2.2
   update template and example with documentation

   +1 no file format change required
   -1 obsolete layout in new lyx
   +1 user is pointed to the new class file and layout from
      updated template and example

   +1 allows local installation of the fully updated layout

Remember, that this is an "exotic" layout that already has a wiki entry
(that we can point to in the template and example).

Günter

Suggestion for a "no new styles" partial update to acmsiggraph.layout:

#% Do not delete the line below; configure depends on this
#  \DeclareLaTeXClass[acmsiggraph,comment.sty,lineno.sty]{ACM SIGGRAPH}
#  \DeclareCategory{Articles}
# ACM SIGGRAPH textclass definition file.
# Author : Uwe Stöhr
#
# The required LaTeX class file "acmsiggraph.cls", a LaTeX template,
# BibTeX style and template, and the documentation is available at
# http://www.siggraph.org/learn/instructions-authors
#
# Versions:
#   0.9  Uwe Stöhr
#   0.9a 2016-03-30 Günter Milde
#        Document incompatibilities introduced with v 0.92,
#        Add InTitle to Title, Author, and Teaser (no ERT \maketitle required).

Format 60

Columns                 1
Sides                   1
SecNumDepth             3
TocDepth                3
DefaultStyle            Standard

ClassOptions
  FontSize              9|10|11|12
End

DefaultFont
  Family                Roman
  Series                Medium
  Shape                 Up
  Size                  Normal
  Color                 None
EndFont

Style Standard
  Category              MainText
  Margin                Static
  LatexType             Paragraph
  LatexName             dummy
  ParIndent             MM
  ParSkip               0.4
  Align                 Block
  AlignPossible         Block, Left, Right, Center
  LabelType             No_Label
End

Input stdcounters.inc
Input stdfloats.inc
Input stdlists.inc
Input stdsections.inc
Input stdstarsections.inc

# don't use the following styles
NoStyle                 Part
NoCounter               part
NoStyle                 Part*
NoStyle                 Chapter
NoCounter               chapter
NoStyle                 Chapter*
NoStyle                 Subparagraph
NoCounter               subparagraph
NoStyle                 Subparagraph*

Style "TOG online ID"
        Margin                  Dynamic
        LatexType               Command
        LatexName               TOGonlineid
        Category                FrontMatter
        InPreamble              1
        ParSkip                 0.4
        BottomSep               0.5
        Align                   Left
        LabelSep                xx
        LabelType               Static
        LabelString             "Online ID:"
        LabelFont
          Color                 Green
          Series                Bold
        EndFont
End

Style "TOG volume"
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        LatexName               TOGvolume
        LabelString             "Volume number:"
End

Style "TOG number"
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        LatexName               TOGnumber
        LabelString             "Article number:"
End

Style "TOG article DOI"
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        LatexName               TOGarticleDOI
        LabelString             "Article DOI:"
End

Style "TOG project URL"
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        Category                Obsolete
        LatexName               TOGprojectURL
        LabelString             "Project URL (unsupported since v0.92
2015/11/04):"
End

Style "TOG video URL"
        CopyStyle               "TOG project URL"
        LatexName               TOGvideoURL
        LabelString             "Video URL (unsupported since v0.92
2015/11/04):"
End

Style "TOG data URL"
        CopyStyle               "TOG project URL"
        LatexName               TOGdataURL
        LabelString             "Data URL (unsupported since v0.92 2015/11/04):"
End

Style "TOG code URL"
        CopyStyle               "TOG project URL"
        LatexName               TOGcodeURL
        LabelString             "Code URL (unsupported since v0.92 2015/11/04):"
End

Input stdtitle.inc
Input stdstruct.inc
NoStyle                 Date

# modify the Title definition from stdtitle.inc
Style Title
        InPreamble              1
        Font
          Family                Sans
        EndFont
End

# modify the Author definition from stdtitle.inc
Style Author
        InPreamble              1
End

Style "PDF author"
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        LatexName               pdfauthor
        LabelString             "PDF author:"
End

Style Keywords
        CopyStyle               "TOG online ID"
        LatexName               keywords
        LabelType               Static
        LabelString             "Keywords:"
        LabelFont
          Series                Bold
          Size                  Normal
        EndFont
End

Style Teaser
        Margin                  Dynamic
        LatexType               Command
        LatexName               teaser
        InTitle                 1
        InPreamble              1
        Category                FrontMatter
        ParSkip                 0.4
        BottomSep               0.5
        Align                   Left
        LabelSep                xx
        LabelType               Static
        LabelString             "Teaser figure:"
        LabelFont
          Series                Bold
          Size                  Normal
          Color                 Green
        EndFont
        # TODO: support caption numbering (not Sensless!!!)
End

Style Abstract
        Margin                  Static
        LatexType               Environment
        LatexName               abstract
        Category                FrontMatter
        NextNoIndent            1
        LeftMargin              MMM
        RightMargin             MMM
        ParIndent               MM
        ItemSep                 0
        TopSep                  0.7
        BottomSep               0.7
        ParSep                  0
        Align                   Block
        AlignPossible           Block
        LabelType               Centered
        LabelString             "Abstract"
        LabelBottomSep          0.5
        Font
          Size                  Small
        EndFont
        LabelFont
          Series                Bold
          Size                  Large
        EndFont
End

Style "CR categories"
        CopyStyle               Abstract
        LatexName               CRcatlist
        Margin                  Dynamic
        ParbreakIsNewline       1
        LeftMargin              ""
        LabelSep                xx
        LabelType               Static
        LabelString             "CR Categories:"
        LabelFont
          Series                Bold
          Size                  Normal
        EndFont
End

InsetLayout "Flex:CRcat"
        LyxType                 custom
        LatexType               command
        LatexName               CRcat
        Decoration              classic
        LabelString             "CR category (deprecated, see
www.siggraph.org/learn/instructions-authors)"
        Font
          Color                 foreground
          Size                  Small
          Family                Roman
          Shape                 Up
          Series                Medium
          Misc                  No_Emph
          Misc                  No_Noun
          Misc                  No_Bar
        EndFont
        LabelFont
          Color                 green
          Size                  Small
        EndFont
        Argument 1
                Mandatory       1
                LabelString     "CR-number"
                Tooltip         "Number of the category"
        EndArgument
        Argument 2
                Mandatory       1
                LabelString     "Subcategory"
                Tooltip         "Subcategory"
        EndArgument
        Argument 3
                Mandatory       1
                LabelString     "Third-level"
                Tooltip         "Third-level of the category"
        EndArgument
End

InsetLayout "Flex:ShortCite"
        CopyStyle               "Flex:CRcat"
        ResetArgs               1
        LatexName               shortcite
        Decoration              Conglomerate
        LabelString             "Short cite"
End

InsetLayout "Flex:Thanks"
        CopyStyle               "Flex:ShortCite"
        LatexName               thanks
        Decoration              Classic
        LabelString             "E-mail"
        LabelFont
          Color                 blue
        EndFont
End

Style Acknowledgments
        CopyStyle               Abstract
        LatexName               acks
        Category                BackMatter
        InTitle                 0
        LabelBottomsep          0
        LabelType               Above
        LabelString             "Acknowledgments"
End