On 2016-04-06, Richard Heck wrote:
> On 04/05/2016 01:06 PM, Guenter Milde wrote:
>> On 2016-04-05, Richard Heck wrote:
>>> On 04/05/2016 04:36 AM, Guenter Milde wrote:

>>> +1 no new document class cluttering the selection list
>>>    (especially as this is an "exotic" class (not on CTAN, not in TeXLive,
>>> ...)
>> But this is the point: we are going to build up cruft - obsolete
>> layout files and obsolete document classes in the menu without
>> pressing need.

> I don't see why we will build up anything much. Old versions can be
> removed when new major releases are done. And once we have version
> detection, the issue disappears, because we don't show all the different
> versions.

Cls version detection is necessary but not sufficient to secure this.
LyX also shows all the obsolete versions where the class file name
differs (g-brief, svjour, ...).

>>> We are going to need this anyway, because of the issues with respect
>>> to stable.
>> Could you elaborate? (I don't see why this should be different for
>> stable and master.)

> Because we can't simply update the layout file in stable. That is what
> gives rise to this problem in the first place.

But this cannot be solved with *.cls version detection, can it?

> the problem has always been that updating the layout file in stable is
> not possible.

Backporting is now possible:

 * new styles can be solved with the ForceLocal -1 flag

 * old styles can be grouped into Category "Obsolete"

I suggest documenting this in Development.lyx

>> For the specific case of acmsiggraph
>> unless someone voluntees to do a ffc, there is time for
>> careful consideration of pro and con.

> Actually, no: If we decide to update the layout, then it has to be done
> now. Otherwise, it does not get included in 2.2.x.

IMO it is already too late for a file format change in 2.2.0.

So, if we decide to update the layout, we can backport this to 2.2.1
If we decide for a new layout, we can add this in 2.2.1.

Günter