Guillaume Munch wrote:

> Because on the other hand with qt4 there is the critical
> http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/9362. I also noticed that lyx is very
> slow with qt4 now, with profiling showing that most of the time is spent
> in QTextLine::setLineWidth() below GuiFontMetrics::breakAt(). In fact I
> find it more annoying than #9731, so much that I switched to 5.5.1. I
> wonder whether LyX 2.2 should not be built with qt >= 5.5.1 on Linux
> when possible.

On linux most people do not compile qt themselves, and simply use the
preinstalled version, because it is so much easier. Those who do compile qt
are experts, I trust them to choose a good version.

> For these reasons as well, I am hoping that for 2.3 the community of LyX
> developers will choose to focus on qt >= 5.6.

+1

However, I also agree with Jean-Marc: As long as keeping LyX compilable with
qt 4.8 is close to zero effort we should support 4.8 as in "LyX compiles and
does not crash immediately".

Georg