Am 09.06.2016 um 20:15 schrieb Richard Heck:

That seems like a good and clear message.
OK, could you please put it then on lyx.org? Or should I do this If so how
is this done?
I don't have access. Pavel took care of the news items related to the
release. Needs SVN access to change the RSS code, from what I
understand.

I can take care of it.

Richard,

many thanks for putting it on lyx.org. BUT this is now what I wrote. Your post is subjective and thus not fair. We should not propose an OS for the users! People are free to use what they like. If they prefer PC-BSD, MacOS or Windows 10 - it is their choice. And you also now that in the vast majority of companies around the world Windows is used and that employees cannot choose an OS.
Therefore please change the news message.

This was my proposed message:

End of support for Windows Vista

The Windows binaries for the new LyX versions 2.2.x will not run under Windows Vista. The reason is that LyX uses the library Qt 5.6 for the user interface which does no longer support Windows Vista. By using LyX 2.1.5 (that will be released this week) it is nevertheless possible to collaborate on Vista with persons using LyX 2.2.x. LyX 2.1.5 runs on Vista and is able to read LyX files created/saved with LyX 2.2.x. Since Microsoft's support with security fixes for Vista ends in April 2017 an update to another Windows version or another OS should be considered.

This is in my opinion more clear because most users never heard of Qt and don't know what this is. In your post I find Qt a bit hard to understand.

sorry for nagging, thanks and regards
Uwe

p.s. (I also don't think that even if you prefer Linux, we should propose a special distribution like Ubuntu.)