Hi,

There are, for example, a number of refstyle commands that are (not yet) supported by LyX. Here are some examples: http://www.lyx.org/trac/ticket/10201.

I tried to build some of these with modules that use the already implemented commands but failed. Basically I tried to catch the command, like \ref{<label>}, and read out it's internal label reference to recycle it with other commands. LaTeX seems not really to be build to do such things. It is also rather cumbersome.

So here is a suggestion to enhance the capabilities of LyX to be more easily extendable:

Add an (all purpose) reference format to the cross reference dialog that just adds the plain <label> to the code.

This way one could use the dialog and database of references with many other commands which could also be more easily turned into modules. Maybe there have to be two of those plain options: one with and one without prefixes ("enu:", "eq:", "sec:", etc)?

I guess the citation dialog could profit from a similar option as well. But I have not thought about details. This will make it possible to use more BibLaTeX commands with the citation dialog and database even though the commands lack direct support (at the moment).

Also this will enable support for commands that LyX will probably never directly support, for example because LyX is using another package by default.

In a way my suggestion seems obvious (to me now) so maybe this has been suggested before and probably I am overlooking something. Or is this functionality even already implemented somehow? My wild guess is that it is rather easy to implement.

Best,
Daniel