On Sat, Jul 02, 2016 at 11:57:14PM +0200, Guillaume Munch wrote:

> I only have an opinion for the working directory. Also I do not
> understand which path field you are referring to (lost in translation).

It is the first one in the paths tab. In English "Working directory", in
French "RĂ©pertoire de travail". Is that what you were asking about?

> > > If all, then instead of a tool tip since
> > > the behavior would be consistent for all the paths we could put a note
> > > at the top/bottom explaining something like "you may use relative paths
> > > or absolute paths. Relative paths will be expanded with respect to the
> > > directory you start LyX from, and thus could change each LyX session".
>
> I see other paths that do not make much sense as relative directories.

Agreed. Let's take an example, e.g. "Thesaurus dictionaries". It would
be strange to use '.' intending for it to be a relative path. But I also
think it would be strange to use '.' the way that '.' is currently
interpreted (which is that '.' is immediately substituted for the current
working directory and that absolute path is then stored in preferences).
Thus, because both scenarios are strange, I do not think that users who
enter '.' will be confused by the new behavior.

> However this could provide a more uniform interface. I already read for
> the "TEXINPUTS prefix" tooltip: ". designates the current directory".
> What you suggest would be less hidden and more uniform.

Yes this is indeed the advantage.

In the end, I don't have a strong opinion on this. If others would
prefer making the change only for "Working directory", I'm fine with
that.

Scott