On Wed, Oct 19, 2016 at 03:35:38PM -0700, Pavel Sanda wrote:

> I would start with implementing lfun, which would just take the citation
> and try to
> 1. if pdf file found, trigger pdf viewer with file path (doc dir as a base)
> 2. if url found, trigger browser with url

That sounds like a good plan.

> 3. otherwise take author & title & year and trigger browser with url like
>
> https://scholar.google.com/scholar?as_q=title&as_sauthors=author&as_ylo=year&as_yhi=year
>   (this sounds cool:)

Interesting idea. I had not thought of something like that.

> Then you could just add to context menu this lfun and it would work for
> single citations.
> There could be even more advanced version of automatically filled submenu with
> all papers in the case citation inset contains more citations. But I would
> first
> start with the simple lfun, how far it gets.

Makes sense.

> I don't think that the security issue is really problem, you just need proper
> launcher which has as first arg binary name for the executable and second arg
> for
> params and not our homebrew startscript.
> Since we know what the executable is (we go either html or pdf) this should
> be quite straightforward.

OK.

Thanks for the feedback. I have no idea when I would actually start work
on this, but I think we have shaped the idea enough now that I would
know where to start. Of course if anyone beats me to implementing this,
they are most welcome.

Scott