On 01/07/2017 11:03 PM, Pavel Sanda wrote:
My understanding of your issue was that suddenly you were left without _any_
pdf viewer. For this putting the new pdf viewer at the end of list should work
and I am happy to fix that.
You are right about my not having any viewer, but that was in part because I had just done a system upgrade (which is what caused evince, gedit and the previous image viewer to be replaced by the X-Apps) and had not yet gotten around to reinstalling other programs that were deleted during the upgrade.
I don't feel like entering discussion what 'typical user' wants and start
messing up with order of viewers/editors.
While I see what you are saying about image viewer/text editor I don't see
how that "earns"
xreader > 'gv', 'ghostview -swap', 'gsview64', 'gsview32'
xreader > 'kghostview', 'xpdf', 'SumatraPDF', 'acrobat', 'acroread', 'mupdf'
xreader > 'kdvi', 'okular', 'yap', 'dviout -Set=!m'
for people out of your distro.

At this point (having reloaded some programs), if I were to put the X-Apps at the end of their respective vectors and reconfigure LyX, none of the X-Apps would be selected. My default text editor would be notepad, which would require running the Wine emulator. My default PDF viewer would be Acrobat Reader (which would be okay with me). My default image viewer would be gimp, which I find much too cumbersome just for looking at an image. So I would end up having to edit the viewers in Tools > Preferences, which is exactly what I would be doing with the previous configuration script.

Putting the X-Apps last in their respective vectors helps anyone who has none of the other tools installed, so it's certainly better than nothing. I can understand your being concerned about users suddenly finding a different viewer than what they previously had, but my understanding is that the X-Apps are direct substitutes for evince, gedit and (I think) xv, so it makes sense to me that their precedence in the list would match the precedence assigned to the apps they're replacing.

Paul