On Mon, Jan 23, 2017 at 09:14:25AM +0100, Jean-Marc Lasgouttes wrote:
> Le 22/01/2017 à 01:22, Enrico Forestieri a écrit :
> > commit 9e6cf6e05a25d38e8d7d9ecbf360b2aa5fd06d03
> > Author: Enrico Forestieri <for...@lyx.org>
> > Date:   Sun Jan 22 01:06:00 2017 +0100
> >
> >     Allow to properly scale the GUI with Qt5
> >
> >     Starting with Qt 5.6, setting the environment variable QT_SCALE_FACTOR
> >     makes everything accordingly bigger. So, if QT_SCALE_FACTOR=1.2, all
> >     text and GUI elements are rendered 20% bigger. However, if an
> > application
> >     does not account for this, everything will also look "blocky".
> >     With this commit, all text and images will be scaled remaining sharp.
> >     This works whether a HiDpi screen is used or not, but is mostly useful
> >     with a HiDpi screen, as all GUI elements are more spaced apart and one
> >     can use the mouse for selecting things without requiring a high
> > precision.
>
> Nice. Do you know whether some linux environments set that automatically?

I don't think so. They would risk breaking some programs.

> Two remarks:
> * I would think that the code that reads the environment variable should
> only be active in Qt 5.6+

Yes, you are probably right. I did not do that because I would have liked
to test what could happen with an earlier version but then forgot.

> * As I understand it, this code does not handle multiple monitors with
> different DPI. I am not sure that the rest of LyX does that either.

I don't think so. If you have such a setup, you could test what happens
using the environment variable QT_SCREEN_SCALE_FACTORS.

--
Enrico