Dear Helge,

On 2017-02-28, Helge Hafting wrote:
> Den 21. jan. 2017 09:35, skrev Jürgen Spitzmüller:

>> It has been brought up repeatedly, and I've looked into it several
>> times. The problem is that, astonishingly, there is no straightforward
>> way to add custom items to Qt's "places" widget (the "directory panel
>> on the left").

> Well, is it possible to add/change a pushbutton on the top instead?
> There is already "Documents" which uselessly takes me to the home
> folder, and "Templates" that gives me the folder with LyX templates.

> The "Templates" button is useful, it gives me all the templates
> distributed with LyX.
> Could the "Document" button be changed so it brings up
> "~/.lyx/templates/" instead of just "~/"? And perhaps with a caption
> like "Private templates" instead of "Documents"?

> The un-changeable directory panel on the left already has the home
> folder ready, so no need to have a button for that.

> Newbies don't notice, but as soon as you use LyX so much that you create
> your own template documents, this becomes a problem. The proper place
> for a private template is ~/.lyx/templates (at least on linux), but it
> is only accessible by typing the path.

You can change the expansion of the buttons in Tools>Preferences>Paths.

I set the Document templates path to ~/.lyx/templates and in this directory
I added a symlink to the standard templates path. This way, both standard
and private templates are easily available.

Also, I changed the "Documents" path to a subfolder with my lyx documents...

> "Save As" is even worse. Clicking "Templates" make one think that this
> is how you save a template for future use. But it brings up
> /usr/share/lyx/templates/ where users don't have write access. (And they
> should not have either.) It'd be much better if "Save As..."->Templates
> gave us ~/.lyx/templates/  There is no need to bring up the LyX template
> folder in the save dialog.

Also solved after setting Tools>Preferences>Paths.

Günter