On 13.06.17 17:26, LyX Ticket Tracker wrote:
> #10701: consistency of cursor behavior for up or down in first or last line
> -------------------------+--------------------------
>  Reporter:  Mike         |       Owner:  lasgouttes
>      Type:  enhancement  |      Status:  new
>
> Comment (by skostysh):
>
>  Thanks for this report, Mike. I confirm the behavior you describe.
>
>  To be clear, by "consistency", you mean consistency across applications,
>  not consistency within LyX, right?

Right. Across applications and platforms.
Although, within would entail, if jumping to Pos1 would to enabled, then
jump-to-end should also be enabled

>  Note also that we have a preference in Editing > Control that is called
>  "Use Mac-style cursor movement". If we decide that your described
>  functionality is correct for Mac but we prefer to keep things as they are
>  for Linux, we could put the functionality under that preference, which is
>  enabled by default on Macs.

Yes.
"Use mac-style" is already the default here.
Changing it only there, being available on other platforms, seems good.
If the way forward is as you just described it would have my +1.
However, I think that it should be the default everywhere; see my last
paragraph in this mail.

>  Related to the above paragraph, thanks for the list of applications that
>  have different behavior. This is actually very important when deciding
>  what LyX should do on e.g. Linux. If you happen to have tested more
>  applications on Linux, it would be good to know what their behavior is. I
>  just tested in Chromium text edit (where I'm typing this response), and it
>  has the behavior you recommend as well.

I currently do not have examples for Windows but my memory tricks me
into believing to be similar to mac-style.

>  I just searched and found [75c631df/lyxgit], which is related to this
>  ticket I think, but I guess does not handle the top/bottom.

Jumping to Ps1 are also:
mousepad, kate, kwrite, abiword, TeXStdio, tomboy, leafpad, gnome-notes,
gnotes,

To counter example my observations:
emacs, vim, X-File-Write, nano, calligra, focuswriter, libre-office
do not jump.

It looks to me as if jumping would be writer's logic whereas staying in
column is programmer's logic.

greetings
Mike