Am Dienstag, 11. Juli 2017 um 23:09:34, schrieb Enrico Forestieri
<for...@lyx.org>
> On Tue, Jul 11, 2017 at 02:07:51PM +0200, Kornel Benko wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I am struggling on the best install directory for our tex files.
> > ATM, automake installs them for unix at lyx-system-dir/tex.
> > But this dir is not part of the list 'kpsepath tex'.
> > If a new user starts lyx, he/she has either set the environment TEXINPUTS
> > or expand the path in preferences.
> >
> > Under cmake we add the data to "/usr/(local/)?share/texmf/tex/latex/lyx2.3",
> > but that requires that this directory is used by kpsepath. Which is not the
> > case
> > if using texlive from CTAN.
> > The situation is not better than the one from automake.
> >
> > So, from my POV, I'd prefer if lyx be able to add its own path to TEXINPUTS
> > or
> > set the default in lyxrc.texinputs_prefix from "." to ".:system-dir/tex"
> >
> > What do others think?
>
> I think this is not a problem. The tex files can be moved to the correct
> location (which may be different for different platforms) by the packager
> (this is what Debian does, for example), or lyxrc.dist can be used to
> augment the TEXINPUTS path.

Good idea. But until now, there are only
"development/(MacOSX|cygwin)/lyxrc.dist.in" present.

> So, LyX (with automake, at least) is doing the
> right thing, which is not to second guess where the files should go.

Yes, but only half-hearted.

> Moreover, note that this has not been a problem for decades.

Probably because we say the people how to handle this case?
        https://wiki.lyx.org/FAQ/InstallLatexConfigure

I'd like to omit it.

        Kornel