On 07/18/2017 09:56 AM, Jürgen Spitzmüller wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 18.07.2017, 15:39 +0200 schrieb Jean-Marc Lasgouttes:
>> Whi, not, maybe along with the names of the converters (features)
>> Sweave/gnuplot/minted present in current document and accepted by the
>> user.
> I would add a verbose tooltip when hovering the icon, something like
>
> '''
> NOTE: Shell escape access granted.
>
> For this document, access to the -shell-escape feature has been granted
> for the following converters: ...
>
> Note that this is a potential security risk. Use only if you trust the
> source of this document. Please refer to sec. xx of the User Guide for
> details.
>
> To withdraw shell escape access, press this icon.
> '''

This seems a reasonable solution to me. It is not perfect, but nothing is.

As I see it, the issue is that there are actually a wide variety of
reasons that users might want to
enable -shell-escape for various converters. As LyX currently functions,
the only way to do this
is to add this to the converter itself. This is dangerous from our point
of view NOT so much (or
only) because it is intrinsically dangerous, but rather because it it is
the kind of thing that is too
easy to "do and forget". Or, to put it differently: It is a serious
hassle to enable -shell-escape as
things are, and that invites people to do it and leave it. And that
really is a security risk.

The needauth mechanism provides some protection, but it seems to
introduce its own risks.

The current proposal is very much addressed to that problem, and I think
something like it should
be workable. But I'd make one more suggestion: Every time a user opens a
document for which this
sort of  thing will be enabled, we pop a warning before we do anything.
I.e., we do NOT just run
gnuplot in the background, but we say something like what Jürgen had
above, with buttons offering
either to proceed or not. Doing this once per document per session does
not seem too much to ask.
(It would streamline things a bit, too, if we could 'inherit' this
setting for child documents. So you
would not have to keep clicking through if there were a lot of children.)

Richard