On Wed, Aug 02, 2017 at 12:20:24AM +0200, Christian Ridderström wrote:
> Richard wrote:
>
> > We have spent an enormous amount of time on this ...
> >

> HI,
>
> Regarding the discussion of LyX's safety I'd like to make a few remarks
> related to ... ?list etiquette? Not sure what the correct term should be,
> but it ought to be clear below.
>
> Really long threads:
> Are we really ok with threads containing upwards a hundred posts?
> Perhaps at some point it's necessary to simply start the thread over?
>
> Thread splitting:
> I've tried to break off topics into separate threads, but it _seems_ like
> it's mainly me doing that.

Ah I did not realize you did that on purpose. I actually found it annoying when
I wanted to go up the discussion and couldn't because it was cut off, but that's
probably because I don't have much experience with thread-splitting. I'd be
happy to change my workflow if others preferred it.

> Or maybe it's how the gmail interface presents the thread to me?
>
> Is it something we're not doing anymore.
> Should thread splitting be avoided, or should we try to do it more?

It might be useful to know what other mailing lists do and if they have related
policies.

> <rant>
> I'm using gmail's web interface these days. This might be why I'm finding
> it difficult to efficiently follow threads that are so long.
> - The gmail labs thing I used for replying to parts of an e-mail is no
> longer working.
> - Sometimes the replies don't go to the list. *sigh*
> - I haven't figured out how to mark a single e-mail as unread,
>   e.g. when I feel I need to reply to it later, and instead have to mark
> the entire thread.
>   This does _not_ work well for long threads.
> </rant>

I find mutt to be very helpful with emails, but it takes a long time to get used
to, and I'm not sure it would solve the particular issues you reference.

> Are there other things we could've done to do the discussion more
> efficiently?
>
> Using a wiki page for security topics didn't seem like it's (so far) helped
> anything.
> Would a LyX document in git have been better?
> Or a plain text file?

Good questions, I don't know the answer.

Scott