On 10/08/2017 11:02, Tommaso Cucinotta wrote:
On 09/08/2017 09:05, Guenter Milde wrote:
For EPS to PDF this means we could preferably use "repstopdf" instead of
"epstopdf".

   "repstopdf" is the version "whitelisted" in texmf.cnf for use with the
   restricted shell access.
   On my Debian system, it is just a symlink to epstopdf:

Ubuntu 17.04:

$ epstopdf -h | grep restricted
   --restricted       use restricted mode    (default: false)

$ repstopdf -h | grep restricted
   --restricted       use restricted mode    (default: true)

Guess this is the standard. So, would we need the attached patch ?

However, on my Ubuntu, even the regular epstopdf fails to write on the file-system,
unless one explicitly adds the "--nosafer" option.

The --nosafer option allows for writing files while parsing .[e]ps contents, namely
allowing for the PS "(w) file def" construct to not fail. On the other hand,
the --restricted vs non-restricted option doesn't have effect on that specific capability.

        T.