On 17.08.2017 14:03, racoon wrote:
However, I think ultimately double lines and single lines should be separate functions such that one gets double lines only when explicitly required. (See also writer apps like Libre, etc.)

Yes, the more I think about it the more sense it makes to go for a separate double line function. For example, the following two tables with double outer lines are perfectly fine in LaTeX:

\begin{tabular}{||c|c||}
\hline
 & \tabularnewline
\hline
 & \tabularnewline
\hline
\end{tabular}

\begin{tabular}{|c|c|}
\hline
\hline
 & \tabularnewline
\hline
 & \tabularnewline
\hline
\hline
\end{tabular}

However, with LyX they are not achievable because double lines are created using a combination of right and left (or top and a bottom) line and outer table borders have only one of those lines.

Daniel