Am 21.09.2017 um 11:31 schrieb Guenter Milde <mi...@users.sf.net>:

> On 2017-09-20, Scott Kostyshak wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 20, 2017 at 10:20:04PM +0200, Stephan Witt wrote:
>
>>> Shouldn’t the Linux packagers
>>> made aware of the dependency of LyX on Inkscape?
>
> On Linux, we have working alternatives to Inkscape (rsvgbased).
>
>> I don't know. Currently, the "lyx" package on Ubuntu lists "inkscape" as
>> a "suggested" package.
>
> We should tell them to "upgrade" the dependency on an SVG->PDF converter
> from "suggested" to "recommended" (because now more LyX documents include
> SVG images).

This would be good.

>>> (Yes, I know, on Linux it would work without it by using convert. But
>>> this isn’t good - an error should be raised on Linux too. :)
>
> Actually, it is intended that even the onboard QT converter is used as
> fallback (see Jürgens post). Maybe we need to fix this (with Mac only?) and
> possibly we can add a warning (no error) in case an SVG is converted to
> raster image.

That’s the problem I wanted to solve with my initial email: I can provide
a working self-made converter from SVG to PNG on Mac. But it doesn’t help.
LyX isn’t using it for pdflatex e.g. It uses convertDefault.py instead. And
this fails if the ImageMagick tools are missing.

My question (again): how can I circumvent this and configure „my“ converter
so it’s used to convert the SVG to PNG and run pdflatex with the PNG instead
of the PDF (which would be rasterized anyway, when ImageMagick is used for
SVG to PDF conversion).

Stephan